I’m a breakfast person. If I don’t eat in the morning I become this big grumpy monster. It’s not pretty. To make matters worse, time is scarse, I like sleep, and I’m often in a rush to get out of the door in the morning. This is why grab-n-go breakfast is an amazing thing all round.
I love a meaty scone in the morning with a mug of tea. It’s perfect for a morning car ride. (Just wrap it in either a ziplock, or napkin, if you’re not afraid of crumbs, and eat on the go.)
Being that it’s summer, it is always nice to have some fruit included. This recipe calls for lemon and cranberry but who’s to say you couldn’t swap out the lemon zest for orange, or the cranberries for blueberries. GO CRAZY!
Cran-tastic Lemon Scones
Adapted from Candice Kumai’s Lemon Cran Scones
3 cups – whole wheat flour (plus extra for shaping)
1/4 cup – sugar
1/4 cup – light brown sugar
1 lemon – juice and zest
1 tsp – baking powder
1 tsp – baking soda
1 tsp – sea salt
4 tbsp – unsalted butter (cubed)
3/4 cup – buttermilk
1/4 cup – applesauce
1 1/4 cup – cranberries (dried)
1 cup – confectioners sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Combine the flour, sugars(brown and granulated), lemon zest, baking power, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together.
2. Combine the buttermilk and the applesauce, whisk together.
3. Add the buttermilk mixture with the dry ingredients until just combined.
4. On a slightly floured surface divide the dough into two round discs. Cut into 1/4’s about 1 inch thick.
5. Place the scones onto a parchment line baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, aprox 15 minutes.
6. While the scones are cooling make the glaze by adding the lemon juice and the confectioners sugar together, whisk vigorously. Drizzle on cooled scones, allow 5 minutes for it to set.
This recipe comes from Candice’s cookbook Pretty Delicious. If you haven’t had the chance to check it out, I highly recommend that next time you’re in Barnes and Noble to have sit and thumb through it. You won’t be sorry.