This Sunday was spent how they should, sleeping in and a lazy brunch. I was feeling a bit adventurous plus I had some apples I felt like using and thus my tasty brunch was born. I wasn’t sure how they were going to come out as I was just throwing things together, but it was amazing. Especially when you would get a bite of the streusel, yum! I also want to take a minute to say that I really want to encourage you to ween yourself off pancake mixes, if you still use them. Fresh homemade pancakes are just all around better. If you’re worried about not having time, you can make your own in advance, seal them in a freezer bag and use a toaster to heat them or an over set at 200 degrees F.
Cinnamon Apple Streusel Pancakes
[Adapted from: Sweet Girl Confections]
This recipe yields about 20 4-inch pancakes.
Pancakes:2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 pinch of salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 apple (shredded — squeeze the juice out and put some lemon on to keep it from browning)
2 large eggs
2 cups of buttermilk2 tbsp butter (melted)1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup flour
1/4 brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp cold butter (cubed)
1. Make the streusel first so that it chills while you’re making the pancake batter. Combine the flour, brown sugar, tsp cinnamon, and tbsp butter in a bowl. Using a pastry cutter or a whisk to combine the ingredients until they’re mixed and crumbly. If you’re using a whisk make more of a stabbing motion versus stirring. Put int eh fridge so the butter stays cold.
2. Combine the dry ingredients for the pancakes (flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon), whisk together. Add in the the shredded apple to coat so that it doesn’t sink in the batter.
3. Combine the wet ingredients (eggs, buttermilk, butter, vanilla) together and then pour into the dry ingredients. Mix until combined and theirs now while streaks.
4. Heat a non-stick skillet and crumble a bit of the streusel onto the pan, pour 1/4 cup of batter over the top of the streusel bits, add a few more crumbles to the top. Flip.
5. Drizzle with some maple syrup.
Variations: If you’re looking for a super apple flavor use 2 apples. Also feel free to add another 1 tsp of cinnamon to bring out that flavor.